"Customer delight is our mission"
Add your email address for our
tips and tricks!
The following are things that I've done on my personal system to enhance or optimize Windows 2000 and Windows XP. I've had success with these settings, but your mileage may vary.
They are gleaned from many sites, and are by no means inclusive of all the wonderful things you can do with the NT registry. But they do seem to be some of the more meaningful and impactful mods.
- Disable paging of NT executive - disable kernel
- I/O Speed
- L2 cache size
- Disk Cache
- clear swap file at shutdown
- run Explorer in sep memory
- NTFS Last Access Date
- shut down apps faster
- shut down services faster
- disable extra services
- relocate NT logs
- Increase IP speed
- Improving Serial Performance
- Disable TCP/IP Source Routing
- Reboot Immediately
- Cut down on file cache
- disable short-name generation
- Plug and play
- swap file - size, location
- Autocomplete in CMD
- disabling Zip drive
- setting priority
- Change print spooler dir
- prevent login screen saver
- Disable Registry Editing Tools
- Disable Registry Editing Tools (via network)
- Disable the Lock Workstation Button
- require alpha numeric password
- Remove common program groups from Start menu
- power down computer after shutdown
- stealth login
- welcome notice
- change name of admin
- disabling "shutdown"
I've had some good luck with other OS settings.
Antivirus or worm protection alert
No news alerts
This month's tip
Spyware defense & spybot protection